Links

Sunday, September 5, 2010

Search Engine Optimization

This topic seems to be the center of a lot of confusion and mystery amongst a whole slew of beginner web designers. Including me. I'm barely figuring out some key aspects of SEO.

SEO can be your best friend. If you do it correctly, it can drive more traffic to your site, and give you higher results on search engines, like Google. I'd like to share some key things that I've learned the past couple of weeks.

Backlinks.
A backlink is when an external site, links to your site. This will drive your pagerank higher because in theory the more links you have to your site, the better it is.

Keywords.
Keywords are important. What's even more important is that you use relevant keywords. Search engine spiders, the things that index your site, don't like when you have keywords on your site that don't fit the content. It's important to have your company name in the keywords too.

It's also important to note that content in <h1> tags are seen as more important than ones in <h3> tags, and so on and so forth.

Well, that's about as much as I know about SEO for now...I hope I helped shed a little light on the subject!

No comments:

Post a Comment